Monday, February 12, 2018

Anxiety Oy Vey

I'm anxious!   Yikes!
Poor thing!   What triggered it?
Are you kidding?  Have you seen the world today?
Oh, the world triggered it?
No, sheesh, waking up triggered it.   Or maybe it woke me up...
It happens when I travel, on overpasses, in elevators, at the gym, I think I'm gonna puke, pass out, have a stroke.......

etc

I want to report progress.   I believe I have had so much time living in/with clinical anxiety that I am now more or less numb to it.  I have, in the language of the CBT theory, successfully removed the fear from the "uncomfortable bodily sensations." 
I have a story, several years old now:    I was a passenger in a car that drove off the road on a drizzly evening and spun around -  no one hurt, no damage.  The driver turned white, palms sweaty, etc.  I looked over at her and said "That was interesting....what's wrong?"
Nothing was wrong.  Nothing is ever wrong, unless the human condition is wrong.  Which it neither is nor isn't.  If it exists.
I honestly believe my body has been so mistakenly and crazily flooded with adrenaline for so long, I am out.  Out of adrenaline.
I still get the ears ringing, dizziness, disorientation/dissociation....   But I don't get scared much.

For those who still suffer:   "Relax!"  does not work.   "Whatevs...."  actually  ... does.

No comments: