Friday, August 10, 2018

a dictionary for the new millenium

Mill an yum!

I think a new dictionary is in order.  At least a glossary.
Today's term:  use
derivative: usage, useage (sic), used, usual, us

They want to use somebody's work.  They will pay for the right.  Not unusual atoll.  What they will buy is the right to use the work, aka "use rights."  "Usage," in contrast, is always meta.  Always about WORDS and how they are employed.  "Common usage" is what I mean.  Odd, there is no "Un-common usage." but there is uncommon use.
If you take this lunatic ranting and use it to sell wicker, that's a use,  Not a usage (or useage, sp, no)
No such thing as usage rights.  Although it is clearly part of what language is that I can use any word I want, correctly /incorrectly ... whatevs!.  There is no real penalty for messing up.  Other than looking dumb.  There's no vocab jail.  Yet.   No bed-wetter's prison either.  Damp!

It's not unusual to want to be used.  I learned it first from a Truffaut film.  Everyone wants to be used.  Opposite of useless, which no one wants.   I try to keep moving.  That way, no one can be sure I'm of no use.

I could use a little help.   Mean it.  My therapist goes just so far.  He gave me succulents, some with pricks.  Next week's term:   Pricks




No comments: