Saturday, December 3, 2011

CRISIS!!

Certainly there are crises. Things come to a head. Someone dear (or not so dear) is very ill. It will no longer do for [everyone concerned] to remain inactive, to just watch it unfold. Or will it? When people use the word "crisis" at a rate exceeding 3 times per minute, it's a fair assumption that they are feeding the "crisis," probably causing unnecessary suffering, and there's plenty more to this which I will leave as etc., etc., since it is so insulting I must refrain... Let's just leave it at some recognition of the value of a calm head in a storm. And one more: The tough times are our teachers. EW!!! Didn't want to hear that.

A crisis can also be a good excuse to get out of class for awhile. "There's this crisis, and I have responsibilities, and I can't make cookies for the book discussion group Monday. Of course, I won't be there anyway. So sorry to miss it. I loved the new (mediocre but of course well-written) Tobias Wolff book. Hey and
I'll be back soon because: #1 the true depth and breadth of this crisis are as yet unknown by me but are finite #1b the true depth and breadth of the crisis are as yet unknown but are probably infinite, #2 I can only interact effectively (?) with my family of origin for a relatively brief period, #3 The amount of learning and growth I will have to endure may kill me if there is prolonged exposure, and #4 I have to make cookies for the next discussion group meeting."

PS "Please do not presume to set foot in my crisis. I will call you when I need a little input, mostly when I am so exhausted I won't be able to hear or understand what you are saying."
"Sweet dreams.
Good night.
Oh what did you say? Hey come on! Isn't it obvious I have exactly zero energy left to even begin to consider any problems you may need help with. Don't lay that on me now. Got a crisis going here!" (for crisis sake)

No comments: