Monday, November 14, 2011

axia

There are many oft-quoted phrases in the book Alcoholics Anonymous. One of my faves: "It is a spiritual axiom that every time we are disturbed, no matter what the cause, there is something wrong with us." I don't like the term "spiritual axiom" (there's no such thing), but I do applaud what I take to be the idea, and it is true by definition, so in a retarded way kind of "axiomatic." And AA folks like to talk about spirit a lot, so there you go. But to remove the gratuitous "spirit" from the equation (it is an equation): When we are disturbed,
we are in disarray, feel icky, could probably use some help -- we are disturbed. This is what philosophers call an analytic truth, a truth by definition. True beyond any need for evidence.

As a corollary....I am taking this thing to the hilt: When everyone in my life seems to be screwing up -- especially in their interactions with me --, and I feel blocked at every turn from achieving or helping with the achievement of what I believe to be the best outcomes for every situation in my life and theirs, then My Life is a mess. And/or so am I. And their lives may only be messed up to the extent that they intersect mine. Or maybe they're not messed up at all. They just have a touch of the flu, and the flu is me. I am resistant to anti-biotics. They phase me not at all. I smile when I get paid. I try to be helpful, but I meet suspicion often, nervousness.
Shellax everybody!

No comments: