Thursday, July 24, 2014

Bebop and Chops for a Snack

Less all cerebrate.  I say narcissism, you say business.  I say narcissism, you say everybody's doin it.
I say narcissism.  What's the big deal?  Let us self-aggrandize! Let the aggrandizing continue!  You see, there are almost 7 billion human or human-like creatures on Earth.  Each one needs a real active URL (or 3).
And about 10 domain names.

This is mathematically no problemo.

On my PDN (my page de narcissism), I have let the world (world?) know I think it would be cool to actually be able to play 20 Bird, or Dizzy, or Monk, or Mingus? tunes.  Preferably on all 3 instruments I claim to play.  My theory was that, like contest fiddlin, bebop is a discipline which can be mastered in a few simple finite bursts of effort.  Say an hour a day for a month or two.  Contest fiddlin actually more like a year or 4.   Why?   First, although I could scrape through "Scrapple" when I was 26, I can't anymore.  It's taken about 3 days to get "Groovin High" back and then down on the cello and the piano....It's short!  Fiddle tunes are a whole lot longer.....and in them harmonic rules appear fuzzy and/or arbitrary ---  (in a good way; the stuff is beautiful when well played, and can be potent).

Boring.  Everything is hard, except if it comes easy to you.  Lately music comes a bit easier, is pure joy, even though my left hand hurts (practicing too much).

These styles are equally languages.  A fellow named Marc Cohen told me this about bop in about 1977.  It's a language --  you learn the grammar, get a bit of vocab, then start speaking it.  Same goes for Texas style (aka contest fiddlin').  A language.  
Initially all those bop tunes sound alike. And I am disappointed at the apparent low ratio of musicality to difficulty.  I'm saying it seems like a lot of work to speak this language of bop, and nobody seems to want to hear much of it.

Still, like the contest fiddle route, great discipline, and in its way a lovely language.   And great for your chops.  The fiddlin language is like Hungarian to me.  (Harder than Greek).  But I have been pecking away at it for close to a decade.
A breakdown, a waltz, and a Tune Of Choice.  I need to go to a real contest, and see if anybody plays "Night in Tunisia" as a tune of choice.

Chromaticism DOES occur in Texas style, when notes are real out of tune.  Bebop is danceable if you take designer drugs.

J Gimble, my hero, says "How do you tell those fiddle tunes apart?   .....     By the titles."

I don't want to take the time to massacre "Ornithology" on the cello.  What's the point?  Oh yeah, chops.  I suspect your grandmother would much prefer "How High the Moon?  which is an excellent question.


No comments: