Saturday, July 12, 2014

Life

I can do this real quick.

Life is suffering.  That couple over there, the two who are dressed perfectly, smiling, seem to be healthy, loving, maybe even wealthy.   They suffer.   If they care about the clothes, they have to take care of them.  Okay, perhaps this is a joy for them.  Doubt it.  Anybody can smile.  It means little.  Good health is at best temporary.  Bad health is almost guaranteed in anyone's future.  (It can be avoided by getting t-boned in a small Honda by a large Dodge Ram running a red light at 80 mph --   this almost happened to me yesterday).   Failing to achieve the extremely rapid demise, we all get to look forward to bad health.   And love.  HA!   If you love somebody and they're not doing fine or even don't seem to be just right and happy or whatnot, then you will more than share their misery.   That is, if you are not a sociopath.   And it seems so hard to achieve a feeling of security in love ....   Etc.

To live is to suffer.  So we might as well all be reasonably compassionate and look for the best in each other.  Until we stop looking altogether.   People who don't try to be decent most of the time really piss me off.  I know it's hard.

1 comment:

Coffee With Merle Torpitude: Chris O'Connell Chats With Merle About Music, Life, and That Other Important Thing. said...

"And love. HA!" Today I recommended kindness to my daughter as a way to deal with someone she detests but really doesn't detest, just kinda wants out of the way. Point: this is not me. I need a new glossary, one that includes kindness and love. I need one with a map and a GPS and an Indian guide. And I need to accept some sort of adult definitions that are less lofty but more practical than those I've been using.

I am truly grateful you finally checked in. You have no idea(r) how I worry. The (r) is for all Vermonters who might happen across your blog.