Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Narcissism

Now for a little religion!  No, really not.  Just....
Why AA works ..  is really the title

The 12 steps (capital S Steps if you're a believer) of AA are a guide for spiritual living.  A guide that echoes wisdom of the ages from, well, all over the place.  The Holy Bible for one.  Buddhism.  And on and on.  Koran...
  I am certainly not proselytizing.   In fact, where the word God was a problem for the founders of AA (they knew it would be a turnoff for a lot of drunks -- atheism abounded in upper class America in the 30's), I'm afraid the term 'spiritual' carries some stigma lately.  Smells like hippies and aromatherapy.   Mere spirituality was more innocent and odd in the 20th century.  So let's not say 'spiritual' living.  Let's say "a thoughtful, caring, and as sober as possible ...life   one day at a time,"  A pledge to watch out for selfishness, self-centeredness, dishonesty and fear.
 You should try it sometime.  If you want.  Just a suggestion.  (chuckle)

So I've divulged that AA is not merely about "putting the plug in the jug."  There is power in the Steps, in the literature, and in 'the rooms.'

The rooms work because what entertainment!  A roomful of sociopathic narcissists (redundant?) pretty much sort of trying not to be.  They say "egomaniacs with inferiority complexes."   Look at me Look at me!  I'm sober today, I'm grateful, I hate my boss, I forgot that the Steps are in order for a reason...I try to let people share their experience, no matter what, and I really try not to judge.  But I am judge and jury.    I forgot that the original AA's did the 12 steps initially in a matter of hours or at most a few days.  And then pretty much kept doing them for the rest of their lives.  Many died sober.

My goal.  That.   To die sober.  But I'll forever be a narcissist.  My name is [name], and I'm a self-centered insomniac.

No comments: