Tuesday, September 18, 2007

In Ertia

We all know that expression: “I think she’s just a couple quarts low…” There are others. Similar. I can’t think of any. “Not playing with a full deck.” That’s one.

I drove from Buda to Las Vegas NM today. It was hell getting out of Austin. I actually turned around a mile out of Bee Caves to try another way (290). Still made it here in 11 hours.

And when I stopped for gas on the north side of Lubbock, I checked the oil. There was none on the stick. ! I added 2 quarts. Then there was some on the stick. Thing is, the car was rockin down the road just smooth as the breeze. Other than the xmas lite-like display of dash indicators, that old luxury sedan (it’s NOT old for a Volvo) does a fine job. And the display is nice if you like xmas.

We never know if we’re a quart or two low unless we check. And we have to have a functional dipstick. And we pretty much have to STOP DRIVING in order to check.
And in some realms, on some subjects, THERE ARE NO DIPSTICKS and THERE IS NO ACCEPTABLE FLUID LEVEL. There is just life, joyous, happy, free, I have a headache and funerals are getting numerous.

I just checked my face out in a mirror. Should have used a dipstick. Frightening.
The kid in the Golden Corral (perfectly done broccoli you doubters) in Abilene asked me if I was a senior citizen. I asked “What the f___ is that supposed to mean?” “60, I think” sez he. “No, I’m not 60, Mr TARD!” Actually all of this was very cordial, and I note that the cost of the GC buffet is 2 bucks lower in Abilene than in Austin. And I’m just 2 years shy of 60…

Are we sensing a 2 less/2 low theme developing here? No.

Jen called me on the cell a few miles futher up 84 to thank me for everything, so I kicked the cruise off and got a ticket from a lady cop who learned Faded Love from Bob Wills’ son. Is this possible?
Both insurance cards were expired. I will send the judge money. Probably about $200.

We never know. Really. We just do the best we can. And we do so by definition.
A criminal who makes a decision to commit a crime is doing the best he can. He looked in the mirror. There was no dipstick. He robbed the bank. Then he bought a car.
Later he spent time in a correctional institution.
God was watching over him.
Even when he hanged himself or whatever. I remind you, perfect broccoli -- In Abilene, on a buffet on senior citizens day.

2 much.
Pulled into this motel where Ez and I stayed 6 years ago, and the same old bearded NM guy said yup they had one room left, a smoking queen. I remarked that some guys would kill for one of those. The guy took my 60 bucks.
His free wireless internet is a couple bars low.

Guess I’ll go away now. Might come back later.

If you love somebody, cherish them. Do not test them. Hold them. Kiss them. They are probably reliable old sedans.

1 comment:

Summer said...

Three bricks shy of a load.
One clown shy of a circus.
A few french fries shy of a happy meal.

GC has good rolls, and their fake butter/fake honey concoction you put on em is tasty. But damn, some of the people who frequent the place need to have some fries removed from their happy meals...

thanks for reminding me to hold my volvo.