Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Eye of Something

Not sure what it was. Felt like a downdraft. A strong series of wind gusts, cool, perhaps up to 40-45 mph. But we heard no thunder, there was little or no rain. Just wind from a storm far away. This is my life, kids.

I was running a little late, sadly, to a reunion meal, supper with my lovely wife, on sabbatical starting this week after years of work (I was glad to see her), and with 2 of my 3 daughters -- the wise pregnant one, and the fun bright musician one.
They ordered for me. Flounder. (not an instruction, it was the meal). And for themselves, they all got that chopped salad which is pretty good at the Belmont. We're outside in front of the blaring speakers, I complained a little, not much.
There were umbrellas supported by the tables, lotsa folks, happy hour. Dale Watson starting in 30 minutes.

First here's our food, incl. my flounder with sides (a really good corn souffle), and the 3 salads. Then within moments, the wind. Every umbrella went down, chairs, tables, glass smashing all around us, the PA speakers swinging wildly (the band came in second on that score). But me, I'm just eating my flounder --- focused see. I'm eating my flounder and people are dashing and yelling, crisis. No no I say, let's just stay and eat. Our table is still here. We don't need the other tables.
Danger, danger! No, no. More glass smashing (you know how I love that). Bird with Strings was blaring "I'm in the Mood for Love" (best version ever done). And I was Calm -- in the eye of the thing.

Megan insisted on protecting her unborn nephew (and thus the mother thereof), and I was reluctantly shuffled inside -- where no disaster could possibly intrude. Then Jon Blondell sat down with us.

This is my life, kids. Stuff is flying all around me (The World is Exploding All Around Me --- with Love, yes Bob, and Love's companion, longing, agony. A new word: longingagony. Love.)
This is what the world does. Earthquakes tidal waves melting glaciers wars pestilence bad bestsellers bloody machetes.
I, I captain, I felt utterly exempt, safe. Not my time. I can eat the glass if it flew in my flounder with no ill effect.

I am completely innured to crap flying around my person, and I am in the eye of the storm at all times. I am indestructible, It seems. And I can succeed at any endeavor.

I don't care where it rained or where the lightning struck. It did not strike me in the eye, Corn souffle in the mouth.

Later fear drove us to set up inside, then embarassment lead us to set back up outside, A little extra offer, but we're pros.
Only bad thing : the reverb can on my old amp is busted again, Bummer. Post it, dumb flounder!

No comments: